Pages

maanantai 23. kesäkuuta 2014

Problems with Vallejo primers

Well I've been reading about the problems that people have had with Vallejo primers, but I've been thinking it can't be that bad as I haven't had any problems previously. Well now I've hit this issue big time when paint started peeling away from the tracks of my Tetrarch that I was removing excess wash from. Not a nice ending as I was just starting to get finished and ready for adding mud before finishing the model.


To add insult to injury the bare surface doesn't seem to take paint very well. The tracks on the Tetrarch are a bit strange as the material is quite soft and rubbery even if it's supposed to be resin. The paint just glides on top and won't stick on at all. I didn't have any of these issues when first basecoating the mini originally, but apparently the surface wasn't clean enough before and some grease has seeped from the material to the surface again. I guess I have to try mask the mini of as good as I can and just spray on a car primer in the hopes that it sticks better. Back to square one again.

On another hand Blogger also seems to be somewhat broken as the new posts feed on my blog reader only shows the newest text. Makes following other blogs nigh impossible.

Well at least my soccer bets are going in the right direction if otherwise the day is turning out to be extremely frustrating...

5 kommenttia:

  1. Good to know. I had read a more positive review on another blog and was actually looking to buy a large bottle to use with my air brush. I'll have to check into this a bit farther, thanks.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I think for normal figures it's still brilliant. Easy to use with an airbrush and lasts forever. However I've heard that people have had issues with it tearing away when you use masking tape or now in my case rub away excess wash with a cotton bud. Large flat surfaces seem to be the problem. Maybe a thin coat of automotive primer or the like on bottom would help.

      Poista
  2. A shame! Fortunately I never had such issues with the Vallejo primer.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Yeah, I'm hoping it has more to do with the material being quite rubbery and bendy and also a bit oily to the touch. Maybe I should have let it soak in a cleaning solution longer before I scrubbed it clean prior to painting.

      Poista